Thursday, August 27, 2009

Paper Cranes


Written about 9 years ago...


I first learned to fold a paper crane when I was 6 years old. Through the years I've folded cranes for a number of reasons, the majority good. Mostly it was something to do to occupy my time. It has always been a fascination/ and a passion of mine and I never quite understood what the draw to them was until fairly recently. Upon learning more about the Japanese aesthetic I realized that this fascination of mine was two-fold. First, that something as simple as a mere sheet of square paper had the potential to become an object of such beauty and admiration. Second, that the integrity of the end product is wholly dependent upon the exacting execution of a number of very simple folds. Mistakes have and will be made in every attempt in this creative endeavor. This is how we learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment